Post Title: Regional Manager, MOMENTUM Integrated Health Resilience (MIHR) Project Mali
Number of Vacancies: 01 (One)
Based in: Gao, Mali
Reports to: Senior Program Manager
Start Date: ASAP
JSI Research & Training Institute, Inc. (JSI) a nonprofit founded in 1979, exists to improve the health of underserved people and communities throughout the world, and to provide an environment where people of passion and commitment can pursue this cause. JSI works across a full range of public and community health areas, strengthening health systems to improve services—and ultimately, people’s health. We partner with our clients to develop flexible, innovative approaches that solve complex public health problems. Strong management systems make our programs more effective, sustainable, and cost-effective.
This position is for the MOMENTUM Integrated Health Resilience Project (MIHR) in Mali, implemented by JSI Research & Training Institute, Inc., with IMA World Health, GOAL USA Fund, Pathfinder International, and CARE. MIHR works to strengthen the capacity and resilience of both community and health systems in focus countries to enable them to plan and implement health strategies that reach target populations while addressing the underlying determinants of poor health and the impacts of fragility. In Northern Mali, MIHR will work in the regions of Gao and Timbuktu to improve the availability, quality, and utilization of an essential package of FP/RH/MNCH+N, WASH and immunization services; improve the governance and accountability of health systems; and increase the adoption of healthy behaviors and demand for health services, with the goal of a more resilient health system that supports improved health outcomes.
The Regional Manager in Gao will be responsible for the overall operational and technical supervision of field activities, specifically:
- Administration & Finance:
- Develop a weekly plan and daily staff assignments
- Prepare a brief weekly report of regional activities to be submitted to the Senior Program Manager
- Draft success stories in coordination with MIHR regional technical team and submit for review to the Senior Program Manager
- Assist in writing quarterly and annual reports, as needed
- Represent the project in front of regional and district authorities
- Ensure the proper use of project funds according to the work plan activities
- Ensure all staff follow JSI and MIHR finance and security policies and protocols
- Ensure the dissemination of guidelines and strategies to the Gao technical team and health districts and ensure their implementation;
- Coordinate and monitor with the MIHR technical team the implementation of project strategies, activities and ensure that the results are in line with the objectives set
- Support the establishment of a thematic working group according to the coordination needs identified
- Supervise the MIHR regional technical team
- Liaise with the health cluster and other humanitarian partners operating in the region to strengthen the humanitarian-development partnership and ensure complementarity of work
- Participate in health cluster meetings, regional and district MOH meetings, and provide technical assistance as needed.
- Monitor progress of the project’s key indicators on a monthly basis and submit the data to the central level
- Ensure the quality and integrity of data collection, including compliance with ethical standards and information sharing protocols
- Verify data collection and reports submitted by partners
- Respond to other requests as needed
- Medical Degree (MD), Master’s Degree in Public Health (MPH), Business/Management, or other relevant field
- 5-7 years of experience managing USAID or other donor-funded multi-partner projects and teams in Mali
- Demonstrated experience working in collaboration with the Regional Directorate for Health and District Health Chiefs
- Demonstrated experience in leadership roles, promoting strategic planning and careful budget management
- Demonstrated skills and experience working with the government officials and country partners, including ministries of health, local NGO partners, and local community organizations
- Excellent knowledge of the Mali health system and socio-cultural context of Northern Mali, especially the Gao region
- Ability to work independently and in a team
- Strong technical and communication skills, strategic vision, and leadership skills
- Ability to collect, analyze, evaluate and synthesize information using Excel or other information management systems; knowledge of DHIS2 would be an asset
- Working knowledge of project management theories
- Good knowledge of donors requirements, such as USAID
- A background in family planning, immunization, nutrition, reproductive health, maternal, newborn, and/or child health desired
- Fluency in French and local language spoken in the Gao Region; English language skills desirable
Information on how to apply
Interested candidates who meet the above conditions should submit an online application on our website at https://careers.jsi.com/JSIInternet/Careers/jobpostings.cfm and reference the job title Regional Manager – MIHR Mali (Gao).
Interested applicants should submit an application no later than March 15, 2021 .
Note: Only short-listed candidates will be contacted. Due to the urgency of this vacancy, JSI reserves the right to fill this position prior to the closing date.