ABOUT US :
Right To Play is a global organisation that protects, educates and empowers children to rise above adversity through the power of play. We help millions of children each year to stay in school and out of work, to prevent life-threatening diseases and to stay safe from exploitation and abuse. We are the leading global development organization that uses play to transform the lives of children and youth impacted by poverty, war, disease and inequality.
Established in 2000, Right To Play reaches children through experiential programming in 15 countries in Africa, Asia, the Middle East, and North America. These programs are supported by our headquarters in Toronto, Canada; London, UK and seven national offices across Europe and North America.
With a shared passion for our mission, our Culture Code guides how we act and interact based on five core pillars:
Accept Everyone – Be intentional about inclusion
Make Things Happen – Seek opportunities to lead and innovate
Display Courage – Act with integrity
Demonstrate Care – Look after yourself and one another
Be Playful – Have fun at work
The Finance Manager reports directly to the Country Director (CD) and has functional reporting lines to the Senior Manager, Field Finance (SMFF). The incumbent is responsible for the proper implementation of financial procedures in all Right To Play programs in the country of operation. The incumbent is responsible for overseeing and maintaining effective and efficient accounting and financial records, ensuring timely and accurate financial reports, practicing sound financial and cash flow management practices and ensuring internal controls compliance for the offices in the country of operations such as cash management, payroll, financial disbursements and ledgers.
SUPERVISORY AND ADVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES
DIRECT REPORTING LINES
Number of Employees per Job Title
Varies where applicable
Varies where applicable
INDIRECT TECHNICAL REPORTING LINES
Number of Employees/Volunteers per Job Title
Logistics Coordinator ( if LOG Officer doesn’t exist)
Varies where applicable
Varies where applicable
INDIRECT ADVISORY RESPONSIBILITES
The incumbent is expected to provide advice and guidance to the CD and country team in regards to the financial aspects of their jobs including preparing budgets, analysing office and grant cash flow positions and ensuring compliance with the financial procedures of Right To Play. In addition, the incumbent is expected to provide guidance and support to partners to ensure compliance with Right To Play financial policies.
In accordance with Right To Play (RTP) approved policies and procedures, the incumbent:
Financial Accounting and Reporting:
· Maintains complete and accurate supporting information for all financial transactions.
· Oversees the bookkeeping function including maintenance of the general ledger, accounts payable, accounts receivable and payroll.
· Reviews country balance sheet on a monthly basis and submits to SMFF
· Analyses all financial transactions and preparation of journal entries for accrual, prepayments, corrections and adjustments.
· Ensures accurate and timely financial transactions are prepared in accordance with contract agreements with funders.
· Stays abreast on program priorities and their financial implications and makes field trips at least on a quarterly basis to conduct audit spot checks.
· Coordinates, supports annual external organizational audits, and grant audits.
· Performs the completion of country internal control audits, and initiates actions necessary to correct internal control weaknesses in coordination with the Field Finance Unit.
· Supports projects’ funding proposals: assists with budgets, reviews proposals, assesses the grant proposal finance reporting requirements and provides supporting documents.
· Ensures complete financial documentation of funding awards.
· Works with program staff to prepare grant budgets to support new proposals or realignments ensuring adequate coverage of country operating costs and Regional Office and HQ direct and indirect costs as per RTP guidelines.
· Manages the grant tracking file and systems to ensure timely invoicing, periodic reporting and closing of grants to fulfil obligations contained in grant agreements.
· Works with Program Managers to comply with funder’s terms and conditions, monitor spending and deliverables.
· Monitors project support to ensure consistent compliance with the terms of grant agreements, including financial management and compliance with donor’s regulations.
Planning, Budgeting and Forecasting:
· Supports the program team in preparation of detailed activity based program and operational budgets for Grants.
· Supports the CD in preparation of annual country office operating budgets, and bi-annual forecasts.
· Works with the PM/PD in liaising with partners in the process of budget reviews, analysis and use of standardised templates.
· Assists the CD and the PM/PD with the preparation of budgets for funding applications.
· Identifies any shortfalls in shared costs budget coverage and ensures new budgets cover the appropriate percentage of shared costs and reviews of unrestricted funding versus approved allocation and advise the CD & PM/PD on the most efficient cost recovery methods and techniques in line with the organizational policy.
· Monitors and reviews budgets to support financial stability, ongoing project viability, and consistency with agreed technical plans and actual implementation. Supports the PM/PD and CD in regards to the annual work plan, budget and changes to project plans, ensuring the cost efficiency and value-for-money over the life of the project.
· Reviews actual vs. budget financial results with the CD and PM/PD to ensure maximum utilization of budgeted amounts and to provide recommendations for realignments as required. Assists the PM/PD in the review of the Transactional Listing of expenses.
Team management and capacity building:
· Leads the Finance Team and logistics (where applicable), monitors performance of direct reports, assesses the performance gaps in his/her direct reports and provides timely feedback, recommends to management the needed ongoing support and appropriate training and development in order to close the gaps.
· Ensures comprehensive and constructive performance reviews are completed on a timely basis and facilitates discussion of performance and career options with all country finance staff.
· Provides ongoing support and coaching to strengthen the finance team’s performance towards serving stakeholders’ needs. This will include support visits where necessary.
Implement Effective Internal Controls and Compliance
· Maintains current knowledge of local government requirements related to financial matters and ensures compliance with tax regulations and other legal requirements.
· Closely monitors all financial activities, and keeps the FFU advised of all situations, which have the potential for a negative impact on internal controls or financial performance.
· Complies and keeps abreast with all organizational policies, procedures, and guidelines and internal controls framework.
· Ensures the Procurement Plans for the year are prepared by designated staff, approved by the CD and are up-to-date regularly.
· Ensures proper purchase related templates are used, all purchases are correctly analysed and adequate supporting documents are well maintained as per the checklist and aligned with Policies.
· Ensures proper travel related templates are used, travel related data are properly reviewed and analysed and adequate supporting documents are well maintained as per the Policies.
· Oversees the protection of the country’s assets (inventory and fixed assets) through the enforcement of internal control policies and procedures by ensuring that the Fixed Assets and Inventory registers are in place, updated regularly, and reported to Field Finance Unit.
· Ensures all expenses are authorized and approved in line with In Field Authorization Policy.
· Oversees the administration and Logistics functions (where applicable) to ensure compliance with RTP and donor procurement procedures.
· Ensures all statutory requirements of the organization are met including but not limited to Charitable Status, Withholding Payments, Income Tax, Social Security and VAT.
· Oversees all payroll functions to ensure that employees are paid in a timely and accurate manner and issues pay slips when required by donors and local laws.
· Ensures accurate and timely monthly payroll preparation process as well as quarterly and annual payroll reconciliations.
· Ensures all employees have submitted correct and signed timesheets as per the approved level of Effort percentages.
Management of cash and bank transactions:
· Prepares the Cash Transfer Requests to HQ through the DGFF and ensures that appropriate balances are maintained to facilitate grant implementation.
· Oversees the daily cash/bank management of financial transactions.
· Oversees all the incoming wires from HQ/Donors.
· Oversees the timely preparation, review and approval of all monthly bank account and cash reconciliations.
· Monitors petty cash accounts including the spot checking of balances and payments.
· Supervises the collection and recoverability of contractual, project partner activity advances, staff activity and travel advances and other receivables.
Performs any duties as assigned
PLANNING AND ORGANIZING
The incumbent is expected to set goals, discuss them with the CD and plan the work accordingly. He/she is expected to participate in the strategic planning for the county and support the team in setting their own goals and planning their own work.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS (Must have)
Bachelor's degree in business administration, finance, accounting or related discipline.
5 years of progressively-responsible related experience in all aspects of accounting for non-profit
Five years or more experience in handling the local/international grants and grant financial reports
(C) COMPETENCIES / PERSONAL ATTRIBUTES
Ability to plan and implement work plan with minimum supervision
Good networking and interpersonal skills
Ability to work with large data with attention to details
Ability to work efficiently under pressure to meet tight deadlines
Excellent communication and reporting skills
Strong analytical abilities and ability to prepare concise and informative financial reports.
Ability to work as part of a culturally diverse team
Leadership and management skills
Results oriented and committed to accountability
(D) TECHNICAL SKILLS
Advanced knowledge in the use of financial software applications. MS Excel, MS Word, MS Power Point required.
Fluency written and spoken Frenche & English and the local language(s).
DESIRED QUALIFICATIONS (An Asset)
Knowledge of Good understanding and usage of an accounting software’s
Superior bookkeeping skills
Experience in budgetary management, forecasting and financial control
CPA, ACCA or CMA or other related designations is an asset
The incumbent is expected to solve problems and come up with creative solutions. He/she is also expected to share these solutions with respective staff.
The incumbent is expected to provide financial advice to the CD for monitoring financial reports to ensure that country expenses are within budget. He/she is expected to follow proper procedures as outlined in the respective country’s employment laws when recruiting and selecting candidates. Failure to abide by these laws or select suitable candidates could have significant financial implications on the country budget.
The incumbent is expected to regularly generate important financial reports. The incumbent is also expected to keep all financial and employee information confidential and in a safe place and to share all data with the CD.
The incumbent is expected to introduce improvements to the financial processes including budget management.
The incumbent is expected to establish and maintain good working relationships with the country staff as well as regional staff. He/she is also expected to build relationships with partners, government officials and service providers.
Country Director, Program Manager, Logistics Officer/Assistant/Coordinator, other country staff, Director Global Field Finance, Senior Manager Field Finance, HQ P&C Team and HQ Finance team
Partners, government officials (including tax authorities), auditors, banks and service providers or suppliers.
PHYSICAL ENVIRONMENT AND EFFORT
The incumbent is expected to work in an office environment. The job involves high amount of sitting especially when working with financial data.
The incumbent is expected to work with data and information with a high level of accuracy.
The incumbent’s job involves meeting deadlines which may cause high levels of stress.
ADDITIONAL JOB RELATED CONDITIONS
The incumbent may be required to travel to areas of hardship in the country of operation. Frequent travel outside the country may be required.
WHO YOU ARE:
You are passionate about our commitment to helping children and young people overcome life's challenges through the power of play. You are highly collaborative and a relationship builder with a passion for humanitarian work, human rights and social change. You have been involved in adapting global policies to the local context, working closely with a legal advisor and the country management team. Your attention to detail is excellent and you have a positive and follow-through mindset. You focus on creating a positive experience for all employees, in partnership with managers and the HQ PC team.
WHAT YOU’LL GET:
The opportunity to work with a passionate, innovative and collaborative team where you have the ability to make things happen. You'll gain experience working for a globally recognised organisation with a healthy culture based on our culture code (accepting everyone, making things happen, being brave, caring and playful). In addition, we offer a competitive salary and benefits package..
HOW TO APPLY:
If you are interested in applying for this position, please apply with your resume and cover letter in English via the application link.: https://righttoplay.hiringplatform.ca/116989-finance-manager/457228-application-form/en au plus tard le 31 March 2023 à 23H59mn.
Right To Play is a women's rights organisation and as such female candidates (especially local ones) are strongly encouraged to apply.
NB: Do not send photocopies of diplomas, certificates or attestations. Only applications that meet the desired profiles and qualifications will be processed. Only successful candidates will be invited to the written and oral test.